Impact Investing 101
If you are new to impact investing here are some excellent overviews of what it is and ways to get started.
- Impact Investing: A guide to this dynamic market eBook from The GIIN
- 10 FAQs about impact investing from The GIIN
- A Short Guide to Impact Investing: A primer on how business can drive social change eBook from The Case Foundation (published 2015, but still a good introduction)
- Impact Investing Frameworks for Families eBook from The IMPACT
- Impact Investing: An Introduction from Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors
There are several groups that promote impact investing, provide data and resources, and offer ways to connect with other investors
- Global Impact Investing Network – GIIN is a nonprofit dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing with a resource library including research, case studies, and articles
- The ImPact – A U.S. based membership organization of families working to make impact investments more effectively
- Investors’ Circle – An early-stage impact investing network of angel investors, venture capitalists, foundations, and family offices
- Mission Investors Exchange – A network of foundations and other mission-investing organizations
- The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment – Membership association for professionals, firms, institutions, and organizations engaged in sustainable, responsible, and impact investment
News and Trends
Several blogs and websites provide regular updates on industry news and trends
- ImpactAlpha – Great source of news, but unfortunately most of it is for paid subscribers only.
- Standford Social Innovation Review – If ImpactAlpha is the Wall St. Journal of impact investing, then SSIR is the Harvard Business Review of impact investing. Longer, deeper articles that push your thinking.
- Next Billion – An initiative of The William Davidson Institute (WDI) at the University of Michigan NextBillion is a community of business leaders, social entrepreneurs, NGO managers, policy makers, academics and others exploring the connection between development and enterprise.